Re: Firefox Operating System - Based on Linux?

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 06 July 2006 15:31 \__

> On Thursday 06 July 2006 15:01 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | My answer to that is, how much can you really trust a company that five
>> | years ago completely left you abandoned? If they do, in fact, succeed in
>> | taking back some of the market share that Firefox has gotten back from
>> | them, who's to say that they're not going to disappear again? My issue
>> | is not so much at a product level; it's at a company level. How do you
>> | trust a company that left everyone out in the cold for five years?
>> `----
>>
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276185_software03.html
>
> Er... right.... it must go like this:-
>
> Of course we left our I.E. untouched for 5 years.  There was, in fact, no
> reason to change it, because there was no Customer Demand to do so.
> As we were about to re-employ the team, and make the innovations that are
> now underway (and will restore our rightful 99.9% market share), news of
> our designs (such as tabbed browsing) must have leaked out, and hence the
> upstarts such as Firefox were able to capitalize(sic!) via an inferior
> product on our ideas.  However, in the fulness of time, and true to our
> belief in innovation and quality, and when we have completed our extensive
> test program(sic!) to ensure that I.E. 7 continues our tradition of safe,
> secure browsing.....
>
> (How am I doing....?:-))

This should be used as a classic example, just in case someone asks you how
Microsoft stifles innovation, whereas how Open Source software drives
science and technology forward.

By abolishing the competition and posing an impossible-to-break entry barrier
you return to dark ages of religion, or even Microsoft's totalitarian
regime. Open Source inherits mutually and thus accelerates everything for
the benefit of all. Those who seek to hinder society and, bringing
breakthroughs to a halt (status-quo prevents change of equilibrium and puts
aback risk) need to be shunned from the face of industry.

Either way, this reminds me of debates in the context of pharmaceutical
companies and the incentive (or lack thereof) to find a cure rather than
sell a pricey drug.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:35pm  up 69 days 20:38,  11 users,  load average: 1.80, 1.48, 1.21