Re: YouOS: Web-based Operating System

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 07 July 2006 09:51 \__

> __/ [ dsteel0@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 09:47 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> This could become interesting. Think of the imaginary Google OS (Ubuntu)
>>> and the recent comment on 'Firefox OS'. This leads to platform
>>> neutrality.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>> Er...yes you do...
>

> Of course. I concur. Linux on a USB stick seems a valid option. All you
> need is access to your Web-based application, e.g. via Firefox. From there
> onwards, it can be Google, or YouOS, or whatever else pleases you.
>

> <snip />

Addendum:

Another intersting article that was posted (/highlighted) last night speaks
of the ability to use your USB key as a session saver, so to speak (with
Linux, of course).

Ubuntu Linux Live CD: Save data & desktop information on USB device

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Linux (other Linux distro also able to save data on external USB
| hard disk or USB pen drive) has this nifty feature that allows saving both
| data and desktop settings.
|
| a) Use other Linux computer or boot from Ubuntu Linux live CD
|
| b) Plug USB pen or USB external hard disk
`----

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ubuntu-linux-live-cd-save-data-desktop-information-on-usb-device.html

I can't recall exactly what it was that Canonical introduced as an innovative
way of working from everywhere owing to some service or a centralised
repository of one's files (/home directory).

Best wishes,