Re: YouOS: Web-based Operating System

On 2006-07-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 07 July 2006 09:51 \__
>
>> __/ [ dsteel0@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 09:47 \__

>>> Er...yes you do...
>>

>> Of course. I concur. Linux on a USB stick seems a valid option. All you
>> need is access to your Web-based application, e.g. via Firefox. From there
>> onwards, it can be Google, or YouOS, or whatever else pleases you.
>>

>> <snip />
>
> Addendum:
>
> Another intersting article that was posted (/highlighted) last night speaks
> of the ability to use your USB key as a session saver, so to speak (with
> Linux, of course).
>
> Ubuntu Linux Live CD: Save data & desktop information on USB device
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Ubuntu Linux (other Linux distro also able to save data on external USB
>| hard disk or USB pen drive) has this nifty feature that allows saving both
>| data and desktop settings.
>|
>| a) Use other Linux computer or boot from Ubuntu Linux live CD
>|
>| b) Plug USB pen or USB external hard disk
> `----
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ubuntu-linux-live-cd-save-data-desktop-information-on-usb-device.html
>
> I can't recall exactly what it was that Canonical introduced as an innovative
> way of working from everywhere owing to some service or a centralised
> repository of one's files (/home directory).

I've been using 'persistent' on Dapper since Flight 2. It requires the
external drive to be set up a particular way (naming is particular,
most formats that are *not* vfat, etc). It also requires a separate
user to be added to work (started that with Flight 3 or 4). It includes
/home. Works beautifully.

One thing I've taken to doing is adding a separate /home drive. The
only problem I'm having is getting it to mount the device before
running up. The fstab settings disappear at boot, and the drive can't
be mounted at login because the user can't login until home is mounted.
I've been forcing it to do it manually. It's just an experiment, but
it's nice that I can use the separate /home on other things.

I've liked this so much I went out and bought a separate 5G hard drive
I can carry in my pocket and gave 3G to Ubuntu persistence.

--
Bill Gates says Open Source is riding on the coat-tails of Windows'
success. That's like saying Osama has done his part to increase airport