Re: Try doing this with Windows

__/ [ Mart van de Wege ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 12:03 \__

> So my old laptop died, an HP Omnibook 6100.
>
> Since I really liked the model, with it's high-resolution screen, I
> went looking for a replacement. Alas, the only 6100s I could find on
> the 2nd hand market were the 1024x768 versions.
>
> Then I found a 6200. It had the 1400x1050 screen I wanted, and a short
> look at the hardware properties dialog showed that it should be able
> to run Linux well. I bought it and took it home.
>
> Then the fun started. I took out the HD of my old 6100, and
> transplanted it. Now, that HD contained a custom-built kernel, so I
> was crossing my fingers on bootup.
>
> Waddayaknow, it booted straight up to my gdm login, no problems at
> all.
>
> A short stock taking showed the following things not working:
>
> - Sound.
> - Infrared.
> - IDE only ran in PIO mode.
>
> Otherwise, fully functional. Had I used a standard Debian kernel
> image, all would have worked.
>
> Try that on Windows. Booting on a completely different CPU/Motherboard
> will give you Safe Mode only at best, and a blue screen at worst.
>
> After the kernel compile, the only things that do not work are
> suspend/hibernate; ACPI does not reset the console properly, but this
> appears to be a BIOS problem, so I suspect Windows wouldn't fare well

You cannot /legally/ do this with Windows. The licence are sold per
motherboard, so even if your previous computer died and you hauled the old
hard-drive, you must purchase a new licence (GBP 65 for XP Home Edition, GBP
135 for Pro, at least in the UK). WGA can probably lock up your system
because it probes the hardware to confirm it was not changed. WGA is
Microsoft's last suicide attempt.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
Cpu(s):  19.9% user,   3.5% system,  15.2% nice,  61.4% idle