Re: Will SLED 10 be usable for the home pc?

  • Subject: Re: Will SLED 10 be usable for the home pc?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:12:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ houghi ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 09:58 \__

> Wad wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> Will SLED 10 be usable for the home pc? Since SLED 10 will focus on
>> the commercial user what does this mean for the home user? Will SLED
>> 10 be somehow crippled in regards to multimedia capabilities? What
>> 'real' differences can I expect between SLED 10 and SUSE 10 aside from
>> say the new package manager, GUI, and new 3D tricks.  Can anyone shed
>> some light on the subject?
>
> Yeas and no.
>
> Yes in that it will work.
> No in that you will have to pay for updates and upgrades.
>
> What is the reason you do not want to run SUSE 10.0 or 10.1, because
> they are basicaly the same as SLED. There are no 'real' differences. The
> package manager is the same, GUI is the same (although standard GNOME is
> selected) 3D tricks are the same.
>
> If you want to run it on a home-system. Run SUSE. Seriously.
> You can run SLED at home, yet there is no reason to do so. If you need
> to ask, run standard SUSE. The moment you
                                          ^^^ seems like you lost some text

I believe that the main reason for using SLED might be the inclsuion of stuff
that otherwise requires 'hacking' by the OpenSUSE community. That said, I am
aware of ports of SUSE that contain some of the codecs and plug-ins 'out of
the box'. For some reason, SLED reviews appear to be more enthusiastic than
SUSE reviews. Maybe that's because SLED is more brushed and standardised
(less choice). This appeals to those who never knew, or wanted, or even
appreciated choice -- those to whom a Windows XP-esqe 'Start menu' seems
like the /right way/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz - serving the Web for 9^-1000 millenia
  1:05pm  up 72 days 18:08,  12 users,  load average: 0.60, 0.84, 0.76