Re: [News] Linux Desktop for Only $74.99!

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Desktop for Only $74.99!
  • From: Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:42:36 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Stephen Fairchild wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

,----[ Quote ]
| iPAQ Sub-100 Desktop
| | With your choice of Linux distribution preinstalled
`----

http://ztechshop.net/computers/sub-100/

You'll probably want to add a USB hard drive or a 4GB flash to that. Not much in the way of spare disk space, but it's a neat concept if that case is to be believed (not an actual representation???).

I've got one of those, it's my webserver - a Compaq iPaq T80 terminal server. 1GHz PIII, 384MB PC100 RAM (max 1GB) 8GB IDE noteboook drive, DVDROM/CDRW combo. Had it given me along with three T20 terminals as a job lot. Haven't even powered up the terminals yet, so I don't know if they /work/.

As to stability - the machines run uber quiet (I don't even think there's a fan in it) and very, very cool. Mine's been up what... 8 weeks now? Middle of Summer and it doesn't care, it's still truckin'. :)

As for these guys, if you're looking for a webserver box, load balancer, non-gaming workstation, you really can't go wrong with the hardware on offer - and to say that mine was given to me, the price, IMO, is right.