Re: [News] Internet Explorer 7 Miserably Fails the Acid2 Standards Test

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:42:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> More shoddy software from Softmicro. See for yourself:
>
> http://www.notmart.org/images/2_ie7-acid2.jpg

Acid2 is *NOT* a standards test, by the Web Standards Projects own
admission.  Passing Acid2 does not ensure your browser is standards
compliant.  Failing doesn't prove your browser isn't standards compliant
either, since there are illegal and non-standard elements to it
deliberately placed to show illustrate possible parsing bugs, which isn't
strictly a standards compliance issue.

So, if failing doesn't prove you're not standards compliant, and passing
doesn't prove that you are, how can it possibly be a standards test?

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/guide/

>From the above link:

"Acid2 does not guarantee conformance with any specification."

IE doesn't have a lot of NEW CSS support, and that's largely what Acid 2
tests.  What it does is correctly implement the CSS support that's already
there.

> Just as Thurrott (of Windows IT Pro) said:

Stop trotting out that year old article that he has since contradicted in
other reviews.  You're being deliberately dishonest, Roy.  You know for a
fact that Thurrott no longer feels that way based on his more recent
reviews, yet you keep bringing it up.

Here's his most recent review:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ie7_beta3.asp

"Internet Explorer 7.0 Beta 3 is a solid, feature-packed browser that all
IE users should flock to immediately. While it's not enough to make me
switch from Firefox yet--I still love certain Firefox features such as
inline search--it's no longer an object of ridicule either. IE 7.0 Beta 3
includes huge functional and security advantages of IE 6 and is an absolute
no brainer for anyone choosing to stick with IE."

That's pretty straight forward.  "all IE users should flock to immediately"
is in direct contradiction with the article you like to keep trotting out.