Re: Another Windows XP fuckup...

  • Subject: Re: Another Windows XP fuckup...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:34:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Monday 10 July 2006 08:18 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 22:38 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>>
>>> <snip installation of tv cards on Windows machines>
>>> For those who have little else to do with their lives than admin their
>>> windows PCs, this is surely fine.  For the rest of us, there's Linux.
>>
>> Ironically, often the same claims are made in reverse. Well, not in
>> reverse /per se/, but Windows users would like to convenice themselves
>> that Linux requires constant tinkering, not realising that day-to-day
>> maintenance chores are virtually non-existent. Flame wars have revolved
>> around this themes in other newsgroups such as the Palm newsgroup.
>
> maybe the Windows users don't have an answer for real experience, Roy.

I think /experience/ is what most of lack. No comparison can ever be made
without a taste for an alternative (notably by altering a paradigm, let
alone the parallel, e.g. Apple Macs). This is actually something that even
Scoble said to me in an E-mail after I had pointed out to him that he us
using LAMP in his newly-erected wordpress.com blog. He was contracting
Microsoft's Get the Facts Campaign by having a high-volume blog rely on OSS.
And guess what? He ditched Microsoft and subtly mocked them afterward,
despite his contributions to them, e.g. Channel 9.

Let us think of similar scenarios where no comparisons can be made: P/L's.
How many Perl programmers would say that there is no better way than Perl?
Or Python? Or .Net? Or Java? To each his religion. But can we dip our feet
in a diversity and come up with a well-judged and balanced conclusion?

Returning to the Windows (subject of thread and OP), too many people take
things for granted, as though they are the necessary evil in computing:
SPAM, filesystem 'fixing', filesystem optimisation, viruses and malware, not
all sites can be 'trusted', some E-mail must not be open and documents
likewise.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  8:25am  up 73 days 13:28,  12 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.88, 0.66