Re: [News] Bristol Migrates to OpenDocument, Joins Alliance

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 10 July 2006 15:33 \__

> On Monday 10 July 2006 13:25 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> (The same city which proved that OpenOffice leads to huge savings [1,2].
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As part of its drive to reduce the cost of services without
>> | compromising quality, Bristol City Council today joined the Open
>> | Document Format (ODF) Alliance. The move is expected to make it easier
>> | to share documents in different formats and avoid the frustrating 'can't
>> | open yours' culture, which slows down work.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/6656
>
> "Crucially Microsoft, whose Office software package is the most widely-used
> globally, has now agreed to make its software compatible - a major step
> forward"
>
> If only:-)  Maybe they have an Erik of their very own?

...I think they might as well justify the continued use of software to which
they are committed. Once they realise that no machine requires renewal of
Office licences, it's the death knell to Office. Microsoft only buys time.
The ODF plug-in would have been forced to enter, if not implemented (or
shrewdly stolen from another LGPL project).

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Nice! PJs has just added this.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E