Re: [News] Linux Stacks and .Net Stacks

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 10 July 2006 15:23 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> eWEEK Labs Bakeoff: Linux Versus .Net Stacks
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Talk about your Romeo and Juliet: Neither the open-source nor the
>>| Windows communities seem to be able to accept a marriage of
>>| open-source server components and Windows operating systems.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1983364,00.asp
>
> Why would you want to marry free with something proprietary, requiring
> licences, high exit costs, and so on?
>
> I appreciate that these articles are focussed on the technical aspects
> of things, but you can't ignore costs.

They also neglect stability, which affect TCO, unlike performance in
isolation (as skeptic as I may be about it as a whole[1]). Might as well,
squeeze in some IIS and call that a WIMP. If you ask me, the article is
attempting to be cocky to both sides, avoiding any flames and lost
readership.

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] Which distribution used? What specifications (it's a black art of mis/fit
to system requirements)? X enabled/running? Conclusion: not enough
information. Most benchmarks are inconclusive, biased and subjected to one
point in time (specification 'demography').

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
Cpu(s):  19.8% user,   3.4% system,  14.8% nice,  61.9% idle