Re: Pirated Software Created XP Sound Files

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 10 July 2006 11:00 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Jim ] on Monday 10 July 2006 09:28 \__

> http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111830.html?forumID=89&threadID=173539&start=0

>>> Little or no point. Microsoft uses Open Source software in-house.
>>>
>>> http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=3838
>>>
>>>         Microsoft dumps Cisco wireless for Aruba (all Linux-based)

>>> Maybe we can exchange that with Gary McKinnon. He is, after all, shipped
>>> over to Washington to be poked at with a big stick. He's a scapegoat, of
>>> course. They should all thank him for changing the wallpapers on these
>>> defence/intelligence-oriented systems, pointing out that sysadmins should
>>> get sacked for neglecting to change the default admin password. Another
>>> media conspiracy and an attempt at public character assassination!
>>>

>> I'm not sure that the media really understand these issues;  you're
>> mostly dealing with journalists who'll get their steer from large corps,
>> governments, and so on, all of which do not want to admit just how badly
>> they've managed things to get to a point where a publicly connected
>> windows PC has a default admin password.  As you say, they need someone
>> to blame who's not in their organisation, and I presume that this guy
>> will do.
>

> To be fair, my memory tells me that the boxes were running *nix (Linux
> likely), but the admin password was something that requires no cracking, let
> alone much knowledge or patience. If the password is 'mandriva' or
> 'password', can you blame a youngster for being slightly curious? And how
> about a firewall to prevent access from 'outside the loop' (United Kingdom)?
>
> hey keep saying that Gary was looking for alien proof. How innocent, no? He
> could have bloody wiped those machines. Instead, he was merely toying about
> and occupying himself with reading material (selective snooping). Not that I
> condone it, but will somebody knock some sense into these puppets in suits?

You're quite right, but that's probably not how things'll be presented.
I very much doubt that demonstration of restraint will help him very
much where scapegoats are required, particularly where the scapegoat
is foreign.  If the death penalty were available, they'd probably go
for that too...  interestingly, the _death_ penalty is what the new
government of Iraq is calling for for Saddam Hussein - what kind of
monster have we spawned in Iraq?  It's revolting.

>> We do have some laws here regarding access to property, such that if you
>> don't fence things properly, then you can't complain about people
>> wondering across your land...  or at least, not until you've warned them
>> not to.
>

> I think that swapping wallpapers is an indication that Gary wanted to be
> noticed. When I was at school (probably about 14/15), I read about a guy who
> became somewhat of a celebrity. He managed to penetrate the Pentagon
> systems. FBI agents then raided his house, without prior notification. A
> short time later he was employed to take care of security, possibly for the
> same guys whose system he cr/hacked. These are 'trophy hacks'. They are
> rarely, if ever, malicious.

There's a really good free book about this stuff - it used to be
available on Gopher (showing my age :-), but I'm sure you can find it on
the web somewhere.

To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.