Re: [News] SLED 10 to Be Ready in July, Not August

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 10 July 2006 17:15 \__

> On Monday 10 July 2006 14:59 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> I think you've just convinced me.
>>> SUSE 10.1 it is, but shall keep a copy of SLED RC3 on the machine in case
>>> anybody asks/wants to see it, and (as you say) will point to it if asks
>>> by linux would-be's.
>>

>> Excellent! Made my afternoon.
>
> Steady - that's not a win for SUSE - just the upgrade from my 9.3 and
> wifey's 9.1....:-)
>
> btw, going back to your title for this thread:-
>
> - TYPICAL of the commies, isn't it - slag off poor old Microsoft because
> *they* slip, and then announce a slip themselves, but being commies, slip
> to the LEFT!

Not necessarily. It was July, then August, now July again (assuming I am not
terribly mistaken). This implies that RC3 of SLED is rather stable --
something that cannot be said about Vista at present (e.g.
http://photomatt.net/2006/07/05/vista-jump/ )

See one of my latest posts. Internal memos/E-mail debates suggest that a
further delay might be needed for Windows Vista. It must be the fifth delay:
[thinking... to self:] 2003, 2005, 2006, pre-December 2006, January 2007...

Windows XP is merely Windows 2000 with extra memory consumption; Windows 98
and 95 are rather similar, much like Windows ME, only with a cumulative line
of features. I guess Aero was a big enough step (glossy lipstick) if it
justified 5-6 years. In fact, Longhorn was scraped in September 2005 and
feature freeze was reached in March or February this year. So, Vista is just
Windows XP (Server 2003, which is a close sibling of XP, to be precise),
plus 6 months in active development, plus testing and some extra modules on
top (all major pillars including WinFS were of course discarded).

The Windows project is essentially dead. It's unmaintainable, no matter how
many programmers you throw at the dog. According to one Microsoft
programmers, there are chains (even circular) of dependencies that involve
30 modules/layers. The code still requires 60% of its whole to be
re-written, according the the boss Allchin. Allchin retires when/if the dog
ever ships by the way (more executive shuffles involved). Judging by what I
see, Duke Nukem Forever will ship before Vista.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    United States: #1 in spam export
Cpu(s):  19.8% user,   3.4% system,  14.8% nice,  61.9% idle