Re: Vista Still Contains Elements from Windows 3.1

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> The Windows 3.1 Add Fonts Dialog is still in Vista Build 5472!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But, some things never change.  One of those things is the
> | "Add Fonts" dialog, straight from Windows 3.1.  This dialog has
> | been in Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000,
> | and Windows XP.  I think it's time for an update, but aparently this is
> | not on any list at Microsoft :).

Probably because noone really uses it... just drag a font to the folder
and it is automatically installed.

Nice to know that the APIs haven't changed so much in Windows, contrary
to all of the "MS changes APIs to break other Apps. conspiracy
theorists"

lol

>                                 http://bink.nu/Article7771.bink
>
> This comment reminded me of something which the founder of Firefox recently
> said:
>

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The truth is I think Microsoft is very directly responsible for spyware
> | and adware and the pop-up ads in general that proliferated across the
> | Web after they abandoned their product. I mean, this is the world's
> | most-used software application ever ... and I just think it's
> | irresponsible for a company to abandon it simply because they can't
> | find a financial incentive to continue development on it.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | My answer to that is, how much can you really trust a company that five
> | years ago completely left you abandoned? If they do, in fact, succeed in
> | taking back some of the market share that Firefox has gotten back from
> | them, who's to say that they're not going to disappear again? My issue
> | is not so much at a product level; it's at a company level. How do you
> | trust a company that left everyone out in the cold for five years?
> `----

MS updated IE 5, 5.5 and 6 with security patches.  Also XP SP2 added
several enhancements to IE, such as the pop-up blocker.

MS certainly didn't leave anybody 'out in the cold' - that's just
stupid.

Funny - when MS releases applications every two years, everybody
bitches that MS is shoving upgrades down their throats and whines about
the 'upgrade cycle'.  Then, when they just release needed patches
instead of throwing out a new version, the *exact same people* bitch
that there is no new release and then whine again about how 'they were
left in the cold'.

Oh boohoo - these are the same damned vocal minority whiners and
bitchers that will bitch about everything.  Go buy a jacket and STFU.