Re: 99 Steps Improve Performance of Windows

  • Subject: Re: 99 Steps Improve Performance of Windows
  • From: "NoNamer" <grug2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Jul 2006 00:43:10 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Thursday 06 July 2006 14:30 \__
>
> > On 2006-07-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Beginners Guides: 99 Performance Tips for Windows XP
> >>
> >> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1590
> >
> >  Um, a lot of the Microsoft stuff you post is relevant from a business
> > perspective, but I gotta ask what relation this has to Linux advocacy?
>
> I was hoping this would show how 'simple' it is to use Windows.

Thanks - it is very simple.

> Moreover, it
> demonstrates the need to speed up an already bloated O/S, which gets more
> and more bloated over time.

It demonstrates the need?  I see no need.  XP runs applications plenty
fast.  It's nice to know that tweaks exist though for people that like
to get the most from their hardware and software (and that have the
time to tinker).

> I posted something similar in relation to
> preparation for malware. These maintenance tasks are often taken for
> granted, neglected fully (ultimately leading to disaster) or assigned to
> some other volunteer.

?

Nah.  You'd like to think that and spread the FUD, but in reality all
it takes is to not launch executables from unknown persons.

Also, keep automatic updates on, don't mess with the firewall settings
(i.e. keep it on), and you are good to go.

I realize that linux users don't have to worry about this, as hackers
don't target a system with <1% of the desktop market.