Re: Sorting out Microsoft, the American way

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Friday 14 July 2006 22:26 \__

>> True. That's why I recently suggested increasing the fine exponentially
>> until
>> submission, until bankruptcy, or until Microsoft retracts all business
>> from
>> the EU.
>
>     I haven't followed the case that closely; is retracting all business
> from the EU an actual option for Microsoft? That would seem like the most
> appealing option for them.
>
>     - Oliver

...More like a curse if you ask me. I said it hypothetically and I very much
it's practicable, unless the retraction is gradual, allowing for alternative
technology to fill the gap. Why is it a curse? Because Microsoft relies on a
majority usage in order to sustain it. Think, for example, about Web
browsers. I once used browsers as an example to demonstrate why a drop below
the 90% market share would be devastating in every way for a monopolist.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/05/10/90-percent-barrier/