Re: [News] DSL: Take Your Linux on a Keydrive

Roy S wrote:

>__/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:30 \__

>> Emacs/TeX users will have to a lot of reshaping to this distribution.
>> While it has a nice no-nonsense window system (relatively fast on an old
>> laptop unlike Knoppix's KDE), it seems to be very GUI oriented to the
>> extent that a lot of basic CLI functionality is missing.  It's great as
>> a rescue system but for me it is nearly nonfunctional as a working
>> system.  Much of what is on it is not what a CLI type wants, and so that
>> could be discarded and replaced with other things.  It should be
>> possible to do this without changing the underlying OS part though.
>> Just get rid of clutter and add functionality.

>I came across the following site a couple of hours ago.
>
>http://www.pendrivelinux.com/store/
>
>They do Slax and Knoppix. It might be too fat for consumption on weak
>hardware, but at least it might give you some utilities like emacs and
>pdflatex. The capacity of these 'fingers' is either 1 or 2 GB.

That's still pretty big (to compare: the Suse 10.1 DVD with all the
non-prop stuff on it is about 3GB when loaded).  I could probably get
rid of a good fraction of the DSL stuff I don't use and install stuff I
usually use manually, and then load it all onto a bootable stick.  If I
ever get around to getting new hardware I might try that, but for now
I'm stuck with live CDs (too loathe to do a real reinatall).
Functionwise the Knoppix is fine (once I figured out how to make the HDD
writable!).

I got the Ubuntu CDs but they make my CD drive spin so fast it makes
noise.  It worried me enough that I quit with that :-)  I'm back to
Knoppix for now for the new stuff.  But the old Suse 6.2 using FVWM is
even better on my laptop (the fan never runs if all I do is stuff with
papers and presentations, while with Knoppix it runs all the time and
the laptop gets hot).

Bottom line: the old stuff has a _much_ smaller resource footprint.

--
ciao,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/