Re: [News] DSL: Take Your Linux on a Keydrive

__/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:30 \__

>>A Closer Look at Damn Small Linux
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| In summary, I've found this take-along operating system to be a great
>>| companion for doing most of what I need from a computer. Once your
>>| keydrive is configured the way you want, it will seem like you can take
>>| your computer everywhere without really having to take your computer
>>| anywhere.
>>`----
>>
>>                        http://linux.sys-con.com/read/244333.htm
>
> Emacs/TeX users will have to a lot of reshaping to this distribution.
> While it has a nice no-nonsense window system (relatively fast on an old
> laptop unlike Knoppix's KDE), it seems to be very GUI oriented to the
> extent that a lot of basic CLI functionality is missing.  It's great as
> a rescue system but for me it is nearly nonfunctional as a working
> system.  Much of what is on it is not what a CLI type wants, and so that
> could be discarded and replaced with other things.  It should be
> possible to do this without changing the underlying OS part though.
> Just get rid of clutter and add functionality.

I came across the following site a couple of hours ago.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/store/

They do Slax and Knoppix. It might be too fat for consumption on weak
hardware, but at least it might give you some utilities like emacs and
pdflatex. The capacity of these 'fingers' is either 1 or 2 GB.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
Cpu(s):  20.1% user,   3.5% system,  14.5% nice,  61.9% idle