Re: The Way We Were

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 23:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Kier ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 21:02 \__

>>> Slax is pretty fast on most average-normal hardware, and if you have 256
>>> or above RAM (I think that's the limit) you can load it all into memory
>>> and have it run even quicker.
>>
>> On my Windows 98 laptop I had no more than 32 MB of RAM. This can be a
>> peril and a pain, not just to Live CD's, but to installers as well.
>>

> True, although debian should install with that without any problem.  If
> you've a liveCD which is smart enough to find the windows swap file,
> you might be able to manage?

I never knew that Live CD's could venture to go as far as that, overwriting
the swap file of Windows, to be used by self. I guess it requires some
confidence, as to avoid distater (Live CD's often promise that the
hard-drive will be unaffected). It can be hard with these highly fragmented
Windows FS's (spreadign across and using sectors all over the place, some
would say to hinder re-partitioning and dual boots).

> These things will be fat anyway, so
> there's no problem writing to the file.

FAT and fat. Just published:

        Xandros 4: relief for Windows 98/ME orphans

I was going to post this as a new thread, but I guess this will do. Xandros,
by the way, can write to NTFS partitions/FS's. Out of the box, that is,

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
Tasks: 153 total,   2 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,  17 zombie