Re: [News] Playing Into the Hands of Linux

On 2006-07-31, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> Is Microsoft playing into the hands of Linux?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Are MS deliberately making their software invasive and hard to
>| use? Convenient that Linux distros are getting easier to use and
>| exponentially less invasive...
> `----
>
> http://www.seopher.com/articles/is_ms_playing_into_the_hands_of_linux
>
>         (not a good writeup, but the grand observation is noteworthy)

One needs to be on watch. M$ is hurting, but they have a huge bag full
of dirty tricks that have been honed over the years.

They may be positioning themselves as an underdog, or be looking to
gather some sympathy from people and businesses who can be deceived
into believing they're being unfairly treated.

That sort of follows some of the same thinking. Yes, they might be
deliberately making things hard to use. I think not, though. I think
they'll instead use the fact that it is a disaster as an advantage down
the road. Maybe to finally kill off the unmaintainable garbage they're
putting out. Maybe to use it as a defense in some way, possibly like I
mentioned above.

I don't agree completely with the article's conclusion. M$ isn't
invulnerable. It might take them a long time to die. But they *will*
die, just like the dinosaurs before them. It won't be linux that did it
to them either. It will be their own fault.

I would agree with the part that it might *not* be linux on top,
though, I suspect it will be. But linux will be a bigger factor even if
people can be duped into overspending on Apple hardware.

> Another amazing Compiz/XGL video:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws (this one is particularly nice)

Why does anybody (think they) need Winders again? I'm not a big XGL
fan, but it's much more potent than anything M$ is offering for those
that need to play with novelties, or the few who will likely find a
real and productive use for such things.

--
Joex: Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.