Re: Deal aims to move 50,000 Asian Windows desktops to Linux

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 31 July 2006 16:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:04:00 +0100
> <2276091.EfgcGyIaaA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ goldfox.79@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 05:36 \__
>>
>>> I visit Co-Create's website, and screenshots of the Co-Create desktop
>>> linux look like MS Windows. I think one of advantures of Co-Create is
>>> its Co-Create office, which is well compatible with MS office. For most
>>> PC users, MS office is the most frequently used office software.
>>>
>>> The fee of Co-Create desktop linux is 398 Chinese Yuan (about 50 US
>>> dollars) per copy, and the update fee is 80 Chinese Yuan (about 10 US
>>> dollars0 per annual.
>>>
>>> http://www.co-create.com.cn/images/linuxPic-big.jpg
>>
>> This is quite disturbingly similar to XP. I would hate to think that the
>> Blue "E" icon actually points to Firefox. I wonder if it's WinE'd IE.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> One wonders what the bomb is for -- left side, below the GIMP.

If I were allowed to guess, I'd say it's pronounced "Jem" (see script), as in
"Jam in the Internet with some DDOS attacks" (it disabled the firewall).

> There is also a small blue "e" on the bottom bar.
>
> The main page is littered with Chinese but does
> mention MS Office and Linux.  The English page
> http://www.co-create.com.cn/english/ is probably far more
> comprehensible for most here (certainly it is for me),
> and among other things claims
>
>     Tens of Doc files are sent to you or from you every day. If new
>     office suite is not completely compatible with popular office
>     documents formats, choosing this new office suite will mean an
>     isolation from the outside world!

Let's reverse the table. OpenOffice supports the one and only ISO standards.
It does so properly. Microsoft Office is the one which is "isolated from the
outside world" as it will fail to parse perfectly-valid ODF in its current
form (Office 2007 beta).

> (Personally, I for one do get tens of emails, many in MIME format.
> But MS Word/Doc can be an issue for some.)
>
> The Desktop OS section makes the claim:
>
>     Linux system has made a great success in server area, but in desktop
>     field, its still immature. What is the biggest problem?
>     Compatibility and usability!

I am sure that re-forging Linux to look like XP will increase usability.
[rolls eyes /] Maybe they should also kick a little dent into OpenOffice to
make it Microsoft Office-compatible. First step: eliminate and cripple ODF
read/write routines.

> (I might dispute this; it's already pretty usable for me. :-) )
>
> Make of all this what one will.  The website also has
> .php links and its wget --server-response indicates
> Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux).

Well, it's Red. What else would you expect? In due time, a Flag may replace
the Hat. *smile*

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
  4:20pm  up 11 days  4:35,  10 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.42, 0.65