Re: [News] Web Services as an Alternative to the Desktop (Digest)

http://shuzak.com/Personal/Napoleonic-Lessons-for-Google-and-Microsoft.php?1=1

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In the end, despite his genius, it was Napoleon who became overwhelmed
> | by counter forces and lost. Unprecedented success often causes
> | blindness.
> `----
>
> Social network sites face US ban

>         (Comment: killing Web 2.0? Will Openness be next?)

as commented in TFA: DOPA is redundant. CIPA already covers the requirements
of publicly accessible networks such as schools and libraries, meaning they
are liable for whatever damages ensue. On their own head be it if they
choose to ignore the legislation and a predator makes a move, 'cos the
parents'll sue. DOPA will, because of its broad coverage (social networks?
We're talking about everything from MySpace to MSN to AIM to ICQ to IRC to
SKYPE!) severely limit everybody's ability to freely communicate. It will
allow even more power for the US Government to eavesdrop on any online
conversation they like, with no prior notification. Kids won't /want/ to
post to Usenet, Slashdot et al., when they're old enough to drink (or go to
war, which is three years prior) because they'll be constantly looking over
their shoulders for approval from the Watcher of the Screen. It'll be a
dark day for everyone if DOPA passes Senate approval.
--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk