Re: Is Linux Winning the Platform Wars?

begin  oe_protect.scr
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Actually, most of the article deals with the Apple threat to Microsoft,
> but it ends on an interesting note:
>
> Quote:
> ---------------
> At this point, Microsoft has to deal with Apple taking shots, the
> perception that they're out of touch with what people want to do with
> the computer, buggy software, and on top of all that, they have to deal
> with guys like me, who stuck by them through thick and thin, and are
> fed up with their shit. The competition rose up with cheaper
> alternatives that offer better value all around, and we're flocking to
> it in droves. People are scared of Linux, and rightfully so, but
> Apple's success is making it seem like a better alternative all the
> time. By this time next year, Microsoft's going to have a full on war
> on their hands, and Apple could very well be winning it, and Linux is
> going to mentioned favorably as well.
>
> I don't trust Microsoft anymore - between Windows Genuine Advantage,
> all the viruses, the fact that they let Internet Explorer get so
> antiquated... I'm ready for the next generation of platforms. Linux
> isn't there yet, but Apple's already busting through to the mainstream
> and it's only a few shit-shots away from kicking Microsoft's ass for
> good. I suspect Microsoft will survive, but I think Microsoft's going
> to turn to web based platforms (a realm that Apple could care less
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> about right now) and Apple's going to win the Desktop wars. In the next
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And rightly so, web-based stuff is going to be very very big, and Apple
should be highly focussed on it.  Of course, if he mean't "couldn't care
less", then I'd say that they're missing a key point here...

> decade, you'll probably start seeing articles like this one where
> Apple's the Microsoft and Linux is the platform that's going to
> overtake it.
> End quote
>
> Interesting that the author is a former Windows die-hard.  And if the
> current rate of improvement of Linux continues, and if Apple ever does
> get a larger market share, I think he's right, there will be some
> serious competition between Apple and Linux.  Right now the pie is big
> enough to share.

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.