Re: Something I like about Linux

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Monday 31 July 2006 10:55 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> __/ [ Bitrot ] on Monday 31 July 2006 07:44 \__

>>> Another issue: names. While people make fun of Linux application names
>>> because they are weird (as in "not ordinary" or "not quite the norm"),
>>> most distribution choose rhetorical names for the applications that reside
>>> in menus (or have both a name and a description). This is not the case
>>> with Windows and Mac OS. To name just one example among many: Microsoft
>>> Outlook is a program that will most possibly deliver to your some weather
>>> forecasts.
>>
>> Are you two guys for real?
>>
>> So maybe NVU for Linux is, really a molecule? Hmmm ..
>> Or maybe "Konqueror" is really a guy with lots of soldiers?
>>
>> You are really dissing *Windows* because of an office multi purpose hub
>> being called "Outlook"?!?!?! What is happening to higher level
>> education?!?!
>>
>> LOL.
>
> You overlooked a key point. Nowadays, Linux distributions have
> programs

"Nowadays" : these are new features then? Interesting to see if Vista
changes things. It is a nice feature no doubt.

> labelled with their /function/, rather than brand/name. In SUSE, for
> example, you will find "text editor" and "Web browser" under the menus (or
> you can use 'apropos', or even search in the new SUSE/SLED menu). You will
> not be going through obscure names. Not kate; not Konqueror.
>
> The icons will probably be helpful as well because logos take a secondary
> priority. Take Office as a counter example where people associate colours
> with programs, e.g. green for spreadsheets. It's funny how the mind works
> (associative thinking) and how hard it is to retract habits.

eh? I never associated green with spreadsheets : it was a big dollar
sign and an "e" for excel. I use open office calc now under gnoe and the
icon istn very clear to be honest - its a table with a coloured splodge
under it (suppoed to be a pie chart).