Re: [News] Early Arrival for Lotus Notes for Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Lotus and Linux -- the powerful duo arrives early
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A full year ahead of schedule IBM has brought Lotus Notes to the
>| Linux desktop. A Linux client for Notes wasn't expected until the
>| arrival of Hannover, the next major release of the Notes platform, in
>| 2007. But Big Blue had a surprise up its sleeve and, earlier this month,
>| it announced the availability of a Linux version of the current Notes
>| 7 client.
> `----
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/FD0966B406BC8A86CC2571B900122A76

I'm not sure that linux on the desktop in the "traditional", ie, Microsoft
way, is ever going to happen.  I think it'll be more thin-client, or
server-farm, or tablet, or mobile interface, or any number of new and
useful ways of connecting to the network.

If IBM are able to get Notes to work in that kind of environment, then
they could be on to something.  On the other hand, open-source
solutions, with their added inherent flexibility, are likely to
outperform, to my mind.

I'd /still/ like to see Lotus Manuscript brought back to life, but I
doubt that there's even compilable source-code left, now...

You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.