Re: Something I like about Linux

__/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Monday 31 July 2006 10:55 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ Bitrot ] on Monday 31 July 2006 07:44 \__
>>
>>> First, I apologize for posting from google.  That said, there's a
>>> reason for it - something I just realized I really like about Linux and
>>> really dislike about Windows.
>>>
>>> This machine is currently set up as dual-boot, and right this minute I
>>> happen to be in Windows (why?  Don't ask.)  I'm reasonably sure I
>>> installed a news client on the box, but I went looking for it and
>>> that's when it hit me.
>>>
>>> First, when I go to the start/programs menu, I don't get the whole
>>> list.  Fine, fine.  Now I expand the list and see... well, what I see
>>> is a mess.
>>>
>>> For example, I have some apps here for authoring, ripping and burning
>>> CDs; each of them has its own top-level menu entry.  Others, such as
>>> games published by MS, don't - they're in "Microsoft Games" - but other
>>> games are installed at the top level.
>>

>> Another issue: names. While people make fun of Linux application names
>> because they are weird (as in "not ordinary" or "not quite the norm"),
>> most distribution choose rhetorical names for the applications that reside
>> in menus (or have both a name and a description). This is not the case
>> with Windows and Mac OS. To name just one example among many: Microsoft
>> Outlook is a program that will most possibly deliver to your some weather
>> forecasts.
>
> Are you two guys for real?
>
> So maybe NVU for Linux is, really a molecule? Hmmm ..
> Or maybe "Konqueror" is really a guy with lots of soldiers?
>
> You are really dissing *Windows* because of an office multi purpose hub
> being called "Outlook"?!?!?! What is happening to higher level
> education?!?!
>
> LOL.

You overlooked a key point. Nowadays, Linux distributions have programs
labelled with their /function/, rather than brand/name. In SUSE, for
example, you will find "text editor" and "Web browser" under the menus (or
you can use 'apropos', or even search in the new SUSE/SLED menu). You will
not be going through obscure names. Not kate; not Konqueror.

The icons will probably be helpful as well because logos take a secondary
priority. Take Office as a counter example where people associate colours
with programs, e.g. green for spreadsheets. It's funny how the mind works
(associative thinking) and how hard it is to retract habits.

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
Mem:    514480k total,   469988k used,    44492k free,    18120k buffers