Re: [News] Self-Replicating Machine Runs Linux

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 04:22 \__

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A universal constructor is a machine that can replicate itself and -
> | in addition - make other industrial products.  Such a machine would have
> | a number of interesting characteristics, such as being subject to
> | Darwinian evolution, increasing in number exponentially, and being
> | extremely low-cost.
> `----
>
> http://reprap.org/

An E-mail message from one of the project's heads (creator of the "Da Witch"
prototype, who also presented the RepRap at Linuxconf 2006).

,----[ Quote ]
| Just to clear up the situation on RepRap I saw being discussed
| in comp.os.linux.advocacy
|
| I can confirm that the whole development toolchain from the 3D CAD all
| the way to the cross-compiler and programmer for the PICs work just fine
| on Linux. I don't use anything else, and the prototype is now making
| simple 3D objects with greater than 0.5mm resolution.
|
| Those poor, disadvantaged Windows users can build under Cygwin.
`----

And, yes E.F., I was given permission to quote.