Re: How much safer is Ubuntu than windows?

__/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Monday 31 July 2006 04:51 \__

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:45:33 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 23:44 \__
>
>>> I'm using ubuntu and I sure am feeling that it's a lot safer than
>>> windows
>>>
>>> 1- permissions
>>> 2- software comes straight from ubuntu repositories
>>> 3- software is open source
>>>
>>> What else?
>
>>4-no application 'phones home' without your permission, exposing you not
>>security threats (not only privacy is compromised). If it were the case,
>>the source code would make this apparent.
>
>>5-there is no flaw-ridden Web browser tied to your built-in file manager
>>(which cannot be uninstalled).
>
> 6- You can actually get work done without having all security disabled.
> Root is just for setting up the system, not using it.  If an application
> tries
> to overwrite your system, it will be stopped.  If an application tries to
> install unwanted software, it will be stopped.  If an email attachment has
> an executable, it won't run.  If somehow it could run, it wouldn't be able
> to install software or overwrite your system.

...And if you dare to log in as root, the wallpaper to greet
you  will  be a minefield (bombs in KDE) while prompts  will
slag  you off and make your life miserable. Until you learn.
*smile*

Vista,  as a basis for comparison (nearly a year before  its
actual  release), will just nag, nag, nag and nag. I believe
the  engineers have made it less of a nagware/promptware  by
now, but it contributes to further delays (revisions)...

Best wishes,

Roy

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1036184k total,   329724k used,   706460k free,    63460k cached