Re: [News] The Command Line is Everybody's Friend

__/ [ Penguiniator ] on Monday 31 July 2006 02:16 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Death of the command line
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It's hard for me to imagine using an OS without a strong
>> | command line. Even Microsoft has recognized the for that with
>> | their Monad Shell (though they are at least temporarily
>> | removing that from Vista). Linux of course has its Bash
>> | shell, Mac OS X has Terminal (which now defaults to Bash) -
>> | everybody knows you need a shell.
>> `----
>>

> http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/command_line_death.html
>
> He dreams, perhaps. Apple had absolutely no command-line for many
> years. Microsoft tried to kill theirs. (Too bad they failed!)

ipconfig /all

I guess they could not convince themselves that SysAdmin need no
command-line. Now they work on Monad ('intercepted'/removes from Vista due
to vulnerabilities).

> Now Apple's defaults to Bash, and Microsoft... will be damned
> before they will include free software in their product... but
> they are nevertheless updating theirs to at least seem more like
> a real shell.
>
> Some things are just better when automated and no one has figured
> out a better way to automate than with a command-line.

I once tried to simplify automation. Let me try to find a screenshot...

http://schestowitz.com/Research/Resources/Screen_Shots/Source/AART0.9.5.jpg

See the one at the bottom-left. It's intended to give freedom by controlling
a loop, but no GUI can ever be expressive as a free-form command, especially
when you consider chaining/piping of command I/O.