Re: An experiment

  • Subject: Re: An experiment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:40:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ray ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 23:44 \__

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:12:58 +0000, Jim wrote:
>
>> Take someone who has NEVER SEEN A COMPUTER.
>> Take two identical PCs.
>> Give those identical PCs to that person.
>> Also give them one MS-Windows XP retail CD,
>> And one SuSE 10.1 DVD.
>> Have that person install and configure both systems.
>> Then have that person create a report, focussing particularly on:
>>         Hardware support;
>>         Bundled software;
>>         Ease of installation;
>>         Ease of configuration;
>>         Ease of use.
>>
>> I won't even bother to watch this thread.
>
> It would seem to me that a much more relevant test would be to deliver two
> completely properly set up systems - one MS and one Linux (any variety).

The  Linux  machine  will  come more  complete.  Think,  for
example,  about  the  need  to purchase/download  a  lot  of
software  merely  to  get some work done.  What  one  should
consider  as  common  knowledge is often taken  for  granted
(e.g.  go  to  "Start"  to  /finish/  a  session,  which  is
counter-intuitive).

Best wishes,