Re: Linux Leader Takes Aim At Richard Stallman

__/ [ Au79 ] on Sunday 30 July 2006 04:45 \__

> All Headline News - USA
>
> New York, NY (AHN) - Linus Torvalds, the man behind the Linux operating
> system, has a lot to say about Richard Stallman who runs the Free Software
> Foundation ...
>
> <http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004367120>

That is a very ambitious title for this article. Linus takes aim at no-one.
He simply has a slight disagreement. From the article:

,----[ Linus: ]
| "I disagree. I think that 'freedom' is fine, but we're not exactly
| talking about slavery here. Trying to make it look like we're the
| Abraham Lincoln of our generation just makes us look stupid and stuck up.
| I'd much rather talk about 'fairness' and about issues like just being a
| much better process for generating better code, and having fun while
| doing so."
`----

The more controversial statement were something like "Think of RMS as the
great philosopher and me -- as an engineer".

The frication is sometimes accentuated for no apparent reason. Recently it
was Canonical and the Debian developers. Now it's GNU and Linux (not just
the GPL, but also the matter of attribution in the name). Not so long ago it
was Red Hat and Novell... everyone takes the same aim and contributes to the
grant goal while the motto remains "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Best wishes,