Re: [News] IBM Executive on Linux Adoption

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 09:58 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Interview: Linux branching out, says IBM exec
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>         http://www.pcwelt.de/news/englishnews/ConsumerElectronics/133386/
>>
>> Note the words we see to describe how Linux fits - customisation (for
>> retail POS equipment), reliability for big business requirements.  These
>> are both areas in which Linux/OSS excels.
>
> IBM's  assistance  to  OSDL,  as well  as  to  GNU/Linux  in
> general,  is  tremendous.  Seeing  the  budgets  they   have
> allocated,  I can't help but think of how much they help  me
> whenever  I do my work. In fact, I often think of  stability
> and  power in the context of those companies and  developers
> that  got  it  there  through rigour, over  the  many  years
> (OpenBSD, IBM, and maybe even Oracle).
>
> It's a long-term investment and, as Rex once said, it's like
> the  bamboo  which  grows roots in preparation  for  massive
> growth.  No wonder Microsoft invested half a billion dollars
> in  the  fight  against IBM. Gates called IBM  the  "biggest
> threat  to Microsoft". Not Google; not Open Source. But  IBM
> indirectly  helps both Google and the Open Source  movement,
> from  which everyone benefits, apart from Microsoft and  its
> allies  (even  those  partners and allies  are  marriage  of
> convenience  to  Microsoft; until it eats them like a  black
> widow).

I'm sure that there are still people in IBM who would not be unhappy to
see MS suffer in the same way that MS made IBM suffer in the mid 1990s.
I'm not saying that they'd build their strategy on that basis, merely
that they wouldn't lose any sleep if it happened to play out that way.

Hollywood is where if you don't have happiness you send out for it.
		-- Rex Reed