Re: [News] IBM Executive on Linux Adoption

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 29 July 2006 09:58 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Interview: Linux branching out, says IBM exec
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In an interview with IDG News Service, Adam Jollans, Linux strategy
>>| manager for IBM Corp., discusses how he sees Linux adoption evolving
>>| across vertical industries and in businesses both small and large, and
>>| how IBM is adapting its own Linux strategy to mesh with those trends.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.pcwelt.de/news/englishnews/ConsumerElectronics/133386/
>
> Note the words we see to describe how Linux fits - customisation (for
> retail POS equipment), reliability for big business requirements.  These
> are both areas in which Linux/OSS excels.

IBM's  assistance  to  OSDL,  as well  as  to  GNU/Linux  in
general,  is  tremendous.  Seeing  the  budgets  they   have
allocated,  I can't help but think of how much they help  me
whenever  I do my work. In fact, I often think of  stability
and  power in the context of those companies and  developers
that  got  it  there  through rigour, over  the  many  years
(OpenBSD, IBM, and maybe even Oracle).

It's a long-term investment and, as Rex once said, it's like
the  bamboo  which  grows roots in preparation  for  massive
growth.  No wonder Microsoft invested half a billion dollars
in  the  fight  against IBM. Gates called IBM  the  "biggest
threat  to Microsoft". Not Google; not Open Source. But  IBM
indirectly  helps both Google and the Open Source  movement,
from  which everyone benefits, apart from Microsoft and  its
allies  (even  those  partners and allies  are  marriage  of
convenience  to  Microsoft; until it eats them like a  black
widow).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, OpenSuSE
 10:05am  up 8 days 22:20,  9 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.82, 0.74