Re: IT Executives Argue Back Linux Dependability

begin  oe_protect.scr
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Further quote:
> --------------------
> When the firm was considering a Linux switch, the IT group and
> executive management had to deal with some scare tactics used by
> competing vendors [wonder who?]. 'We had vendors coming in and calling
> Linux 'freeware' to scare our executives,' he said.
>
> After months of testing and work with hardware and software partners,
> Wiseman was able to create a data center based on distributed
> dual-processor Intel/Linux servers, which run the company's
> compute-intensive fare-calculation programs faster than previous
> mainframes or SMP Unix boxes. He adds that 'our uptime [on Linux] has
> been equal' to the previous two platforms, as well.
> ---------------
> End quote

I had exactly the same debates internally.  I had proprietary vendors
contacting very senior people, making all kinds of claims, some of which
I paraphrase here for your enjoyment and entertainement:

	1)  Who do I(we) go to if it goes wrong?
	2)  So it's a DIY project?
	3)  So you've just bought a *computer*, then? (doh!)
	4)  So we're writing the software ourselves?
	5)  This is just freebie software, isn't it?

The problem is that the technique works, but only to a point.  When
you're sure (and I'm absolutely sure), then the approach is ineffective,
and in the end, leaves the senior guys looking like fools, as they've
taken advice from a supplier in /preference/ to their own people.  It
shouldn't take too long to work out where the vested interests are.

Hollywood is where if you don't have happiness you send out for it.
		-- Rex Reed