Re: Dell$ backhanders killed UK PC maker

__/ [ Nigel Feltham ] on Friday 28 July 2006 23:51 \__

> peterwn wrote:
>
>> 7 wrote:
>>
>>> Dell may yet find ways to harm Linux and AMD.
>>> My guess is that Dell$ is in league with micoshaft all the way
>>> claiming desktops are not selling and then withdrawing
>>> desktops from markets while at the same time making huge
>>> inroads into server market,
>>
>> My feeling runs the other way.  I think that Dell would love to throw
>> off the thralls of Microsoft but is not quite in a position to do this
>> just yet.  These 'Dell recommends Windows XP' backhanders are just too
>> lucrative for Dell at present for Dell to spit into Microsoft's eye -
>> they also have to watch out for that chair.
>
> Yes those '... recommends Windows XP' backhanders are getting really
> annoying.

Those  slogans  are a form of brainwash. How can I  sway  my
mother  towards  Linux where everywhere she goes  (even  off
'Microsoft  turf') all she sees are mutual  'recommendation'
that  are  rather  consistent,  too?  These  contracts   for
recommendation are there for a reason. The reason is not the
OEM's motive/s.

> A couple of weeks ago I was browsing Packard Bell's website looking for
> specs of a couple of their models of PC. Yes I know they're not the best of
> brands - my father's PC got zapped in a recent storm and the insurance was
> paid out in vouchers for PC World and at value of the payout the only
> choice was Packard bell intel or packard bell AMD (or lower spec compaq -
> half the RAM and disk space).
>
> Every page of the site has 'Packard Bell recommends Windows® XP
> Professional' yet after a lot of browsing I've yet to find a single PC on
> their site that's supplied with Pro, they all come with either Home or
> Media centre.
>
> How can a company recommend a system they don't actually supply unless
> they've been paid to display the advertising.
>
> The site is http://www.packardbell.com/ if anyone wants to take the
> challenge of finding a system that has their recommended OS installed.

Packard  Bell sell junk that I will never consider again.  I
bought  a  computer  from them when I was about  12  and  it
developed one hardware problem after another. It didn't have
Windows  3.11  at the time, but only some graphical  PB-ware
(e.g.  applications  menu).  Eventually  we sold  it  to  my
friend's brother, which was a case of good riddance. Judging
by  PB's  status  and sales this day, they  could  not  have
improved  much  since. Actually, I am surprised  they  still
exist  because several years ago I heard about bankruptcy, I
think.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=topic_02427&pi=platform_dragon_gt