Re: I can't get over how much i love ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: I can't get over how much i love ubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 06:05:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ casioculture@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 28 July 2006 23:34 \__

> Well, linux in general, though it seems that ubuntu dapper is the one
> that finally stuck and got me switching. What a sweet, sweet machine.
>
> Not had a single crash. It feels stable as a table. It also feels
> secure.
>
> Installing, updating and removing software (cli using aptitude) is soo
> easy it's incredible. Even installing from source with checkinstall is
> fun. I like the collection of software for the CLI, for Gnome, and for
> KDE. So far I've not liked the motif ones as they don't seem to fit in,
> but that's no big deal. Software that I especially like so far include
> quite a few CLI ones, I really got to love the CLI, and a few "desktop"
> ones, such as evolution (I love how i can have multiple calendars in
> different colours all showing at the same time, what a great feature),
> planner, straw, firefox, gaim, k3b, gnumeric, abiword, amarok. I also
> like the so many programming options available on linux and how easy it
> is to install them.
>
> The whole desktop is gorgeous too. NuoveXT icons and Human colours for
> Gnome and KDE.

I liked Human too (back when I was using Ubuntu, that is). I
believe  this was my exclusive selection. Also, the fonts in
Ubuntu  were gorgeous. Rarely do you get so many nice  fonts
'out  of  the  box'.  Fedora is  another  distribution  that
contains  nice  fonts. I am not sure about the  /number/  of
fonts  in  old versions of SUSE, but I can  recall  Mandrake
having  some large selection. Good luck with Ubuntu.  Ignore
the  noise  generated by the trolls. If Ubuntu  wasn't  that
good,  they  wouldn't  have to bash it  so  hard,  miserably
alluding  to  fine-level  details and -- moreover  --  lying
about it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie