Re: [News] BBC: Over 96% of E-mail is SPAM

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 16:50 \__

> On Thursday 27 July 2006 15:12 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> More than 95% of e-mail is 'junk'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | More than 95% of e-mail is junk, be it spam, error messages or
>> | viruses, report mail monitoring firms.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Further work has shown that most of this junk mail is originating
>> | on hijacked home computers.
>> |
>> | E-mail security firm Return Path said 99% of the computers it monitors
>> | that send mail have been taken over by spammers or virus writers.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5219554.stm
>>
>> Microsoft Windows MUST be illegalised.
>
> Damnation - that's *another* area where the US leads the UK.
> Between them, they account for 25% of all spam, but they are streets ahead
> of us, 23.2% to 1.8% - and to make matters worse, they are #1, and we are
> #10 :-(

USA is number 1.... for SPAM export. It's actually one of my .sig's.

There's a misleading aspect to this statement though... a snag if you like.
While it might be true that most spammers (or most prolific spammers) are in
the States, the figures only account for machines that are hijacked by
spammers, not the spammers themselves. They could use America as a zombie
nation but live elsewhere.