Re: [News] Patent Trolls and GNU/Linux

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 13:48 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> AlwaysOn: Open source and patent trolls
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ron Hovsepian, CEO of Novell, cited the Open Invention Network, which
>> | is buying up patents for cross-licensing purposes to defend the
>> | Linux environment, making them available royalty-free to developers.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3384
>
> Cor that was a badly written page for zdnet, and I recognised what the
> problem was straight away. Because when I did that .NET2 project using the
> free MS dev tool, I had the same problems.

If you think that's bad, have a look at:

        http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=722

See  the  first sentence, for example. It doesn't  parse.  I
imagine  that Dana was writing this from the key  conference
in  Oregon.  Maybe  a  miniature device made  it  harder  to
proofread  (ZDNet  blogs are based on WordPress,  which  has
XML-RPC interfaces for that purpose).

> It is not at all good at marrying sections generated in code and sections
> written in html. Whether you try static locations (which is horrible, but
> tried it anyway), go with the flow or proportional, it is like the two
> areas are using different shaped rulers. Forget proportional spacing, its
> more pants than the most pants thing in the world on .NET2.
>
> In the end I decided that code generated sections other than banners was
> much better, it could handle that. You lose wizzy wig, but who really uses
> that, other than about 99% of us reluctant html'ers I would say.
>
> Gads I hate html, hated it the day I first saw it, and hated it since. if
> it wasn't for for the previously mentioned most pants thing in the world,
> html would win the prize for being pants. I will kiss the bum of any man
> that can take away all of the html side of web development away and replace
> it with good old fashioned code. CGI is ok, but you still have to
> manipulate all those crappy html sections.
>
> PS should have had the job of internet pages, already fully established and
> capable, already able to deal with unknown objects even all those years
> ago, so dealing with controls, code sections and things wouldn't have been
> hard at all.

Speaking of bad HTML, try copying (highlighting) sections of
text  in ZDNet articles and blogs. Try this with Firefox (in
my  case  -- 1.0.4). Tried it? Odd, isn't it? I have to  use
the  keyboard  to  make the selection (putting  the  pointer
somewhere and holding down SHIFT).

> There, I have ranted. Feel a bit better now.

Rants have healing powers. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 129 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie