Re: [News] Guardian: In Favour of Open Source in Education

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 07:29 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> The open source approach to education
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A new report from Futurelab suggests that the open source model of
>>| peer-reviewed collaboration could radically transform educational
>>| practice for teachers and learners.
>> `----
>>
>> http://education.guardian.co.uk/appleeducation/story/0,,1830420,00.html
>
> It's very interesting to note that several schools which have built
> Microsoft labs have gone on to develop good software which they then
> want to /sell/ to other schools!
>
> As they're government funded - this is insane!
>
> The GPL is the right way here, and as we see more and more floss in
> schools, I'm sure this trend will rapidly reverse.

There  was  an  article in a South African  magazine,  which
spoke  about  the doors Open Source software opens  for  the
country.  Developers can create and tailor software for  the
nation  and  then  share it with others,  without  requiring
royalties.  No doubt FLOSS is the way to go in schools where
an  industrial  practise is frowned upon  (justifiably  so).
Since  all all are fostered by the same body, they ought  to
work cohesively for the benefit of all.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS  -  Gary has created 2 new socks and chose names of  past
COLA posters. Others are falling for the trap, so be sure to
warn them (Grey especially).

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
Tasks: 130 total,   2 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie