Re: Microsoft Apathetic About WGA False Positives

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 07:31 \__
>
>>> OK, however, if it's your system and you are so unfortunate as to
>>> have some of your valuable work under a Microsoft Windows when
>>> that "false positive" happens, then what failure rate is that?
>>
>> Dear Martha,
>>
>> That's when you load Linux on your system and copy your files to a
>> Linux partition.  But if you wait until Vista comes out, from what I
>> hear, MS intends to use encryption to prevent other OSes from accessing
>> Windows files, and you'll be out of luck.
>
> I  believe  that filesystem encryption will be  disabled  by
> default, but that can change through alternation of defaults
> before  release  time  or by strong user  encouragement.  In
> fact, given that Vista was already shown to be 'hijackable',
> it would be natural to suggest data-preserving precautions.
>
> Add  to this the fact that the pre-Office 2007 era, as  well
> as  he  era of Star/OpenOffice 2 may be you last  chance  to
> escape  proprietary in a non-lossy fashion (the safe route).
> We  shall  see if she killfiled me permanently.  If  someone
> replies  to  my post, she'll be forced to face  the  truths.
> Even just a <bump> followup (with quoted text) would do.
>
> Thanks in advance...

I'm sure that Microsoft will be taking exactly the line Mr Wong was
suggesting elsewhere, which is that encrypting data and applications
using a key known only to the hardware and to a third-party will
magically make everything safe.

How else can they push to prevent interoperability with Linux?

"A child is a person who can't understand why someone would give away a
perfectly good kitten."
-- Doug Larson