Re: Open Source $aves Electricity

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Scott W
<d38dm8nw81k1ng@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:39:50 +0100
<ea8uem$9kv$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz said:
>> Yes,  it's  neutral  ground. Bandwidth can be  mentioned  as
>> another  factor.  Phoning  Redmond every day  requires  both
>> energy and bandwidth. *smile*
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> though to be fair, unless MS have mightily cocked up WGA, i'd wager a
> daily emerge --sync stresses the line more :)

And what makes you think they *didn't*? :-)  Sony in particular pulled a
nice one, which has now botched a number of machines.  I hope there's an
antiviral kit for that by now, but I for one can't say.

With Linux one has a fighting chance of avoiding such silliness.  Spam
is harmless.  Incoming packets are shunted aside and dropped into the
bit bucket.  "Click me now" scripts sit there and do nothing -- assuming
they're even recognized as such.  Badly formatted .zip files look like
so much data crap, but that's it.  Badly formatted pictures show up as
badly formatted pictures, not arbitrary code execution.

mailx in particular is the World's Second Stupidest Mail Program (the
first one is /usr/lib/sendmail itself, or perhaps just viewing the
newsspool /var/spool/mail/{username} directly).  It couldn't understand
MIME encoding if it wanted to -- though xterm does seem to react to
Unicode and display Chinese and Cyrillic characters, which is mildly
interesting. :-)

And some people wonder why Linux is gaining traction.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.