Re: [News] Microsoft to Kill Its Former Partners

__/ [ Mark Dodel ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 13:14 \__

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:43:14 UTC, Jerry McBride
> <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> -> Robert Newson wrote:
> ->
> -> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> -> >
> -> > ...
> -> >> | Microsoft has touted Vista, slated for broad release in January, as
> its -> >> | most secure operating system ever [1,2].
> -> >
> -> > That may well be true: as far as MS goes, Vista [probably] will be
> /its/ -> > most secure [version of Windwos] operating system; however,
> relative to -> > most other OSes, it is lagging way behind.
> ->
> -> That's pretty much  what I thought too. The "most secure version of
> -> windows..." when compare to what? A toaster???
> ->
>
> At least most toasters just work out of the box.  And what you get out
> of them is better then what you put in.  And when was the last time
> you saw a toaster take down another toaster?

*LOL*

Well, for what it's worth, Symantec (despite incentives, which we may set
aside for the sake of this argument) argues that:

        (1) Vista has had a lot of code rewritten. It's natural to assume that
            it has not yet matured or tested properly. Re-implementations int-
            roduce that toll.

        (2) The TCP/IP stack has some flaws

        (3) There exists a known way of hijacking Windows Vista (already!)

Let me add the fact that available bandwidth is increasing, which facilitates
more port scanning of more powerful toasters *cough* I mean, machines.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S