Re: Linux User Experience Has Improved

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:51 \__

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 08:20 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> At  the  moment, I have SuSE 8.1 (circa 2002) running  on  a
>> Dell,  which  I  must admit is Linux-friendly. I  tried  two
>> separate  Dell  models with Ubuntu and SuSE  and  everything
>> worked  just fine 'out of the box'. I'd raise two thumbs for
>> Dell if it were not for all the "Dell recommends Windows XP"
>> malarkey,  which  is  of course something  from  Microsoft's
>> books.  Also  see the recent article from NewsForge  on  the
>> state of OEM's and O/Sen in North America.
>
> Yep, but also note that Dell U.K. are advertising Linux with quite high-end
> stuff in the U.K.
> By that, I mean that it's in the list of OS options on their site.
> I think that price-wise it's "ring us", which leads me to wonder if they
> are stuck in some way to *not* show the actual cost of Windows, if you see
> what I mean?

I grabbed the following before Easter...

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg

I  believe the price was the same as that of Windows XP, but
I cannot remember for sure. Bear in mind that Red Hat's RHEL
is a commercial edition.

Dell  is  making  progress. HP is  making  quicker  progress
(laptops  are SLED approved, soon to be preloaded with  SLED
10  on an custom order basis). IBM is a true ally and  there
are  hundreds  of shops out there that offer  machines  with
Linux pre-installed.

The  world is changing. Windows has become so bad that  even
Microsoft  cannot  force the OEM to hide  alternatives.  Not
even  with  kickbacks and complex contracts  that  prescribe
which icons you put on the customer's desktop. While vendors
want to sell high-end machines (culminating inn Vista's 'hog
factor'),  customers  want cheap, cheap, cheap. And  stable,
and  secure, and reliable, and versatile, and powerful. Just
give  them GNU/Linux. Rest in peace, Windows. We will not be
missing  you, but SPAM that will carry on arriving until the
old  generation  of computers is deceased will remind us  of
Windows' death. Of course, it will take a couple of years...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
roy      pts/8                         Tue Jul 25 18:48 - 18:54  (00:06)