Re: Linux User Experience Has Improved

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 23:53 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Getting Linux To Disrupt The Market, Not The User Experience
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | With last week's launch of Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise for the
>> | desktop and server, there are now more viable Linux options in the
>> | commercial marketplace than ever.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.crn.com/sections/hardware/hardware.jhtml?articleId=191100122
>
> Gee let's see,
> I just threw out copies of SUSE 4.4 through 9.2, all of which were
> orders of magnitude better than their Microsoft contemporaries, and of
> course I had no problem installing them because I chose hardware which
> was "Linux Friendly".

At  the  moment, I have SuSE 8.1 (circa 2002) running  on  a
Dell,  which  I  must admit is Linux-friendly. I  tried  two
separate  Dell  models with Ubuntu and SuSE  and  everything
worked  just fine 'out of the box'. I'd raise two thumbs for
Dell if it were not for all the "Dell recommends Windows XP"
malarkey,  which  is  of course something  from  Microsoft's
books.  Also  see the recent article from NewsForge  on  the
state of OEM's and O/Sen in North America.

> I had features XP didn't have until SP2 back when Microsoft was still
> selling Windows 95, and sharing the FAT drive with anyone who had
> access to the LAN (really fun in hotels).

Microsoft  is  still  playing catch-up. Sadly,  Average  Joe
thinks   they  innovate  whenever  a  new  feature  is  made
available.    Average    Joe   never   used   Linux.    It's
'zombification'  of  one's mind through obscurity  (ensuring
OEM's give no glimpse at the competition).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://en.opensuse.org >
Cpu(s):  16.6% user,   2.5% system,   0.6% nice,  80.3% idle