Re: [News] Nigeria Embraces OLPC by Purchaing One Million Linux Laptops

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 18:06 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Nigeria buys into US$100 laptop concept
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1237594850&rid=-50
>>>

>>> IIRC, 200-300/500 million units are expected to be made within the first
>>> 2-3 years.
>>
>> The really sad thing is that Intel have joined with Microsoft to con the
>> rest of Africa.  I really thought more of Intel than that.
>
> *LOL* But have you heard about the pricing? IIRC, it was a laughable $300 for
> something that wasn't much better at all. If you think of Nigerian SPAM,
> think of the power of 1 million Windows zombies in a single country,
> interconnected using Wi-Fi.

Umm, far to pricey, I think...

<snip>

> Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
>| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
>| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
>| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
> `----
>
>                         http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

Bill Gates was from a very privileged background, so probably thinks
this is funny.  Some people are from very humble backgrounds, and will
likely merely find this highly insulting.  It should do wonders for MS
sales...

What no spouse of a writer can ever understand is that a writer is working
when he's staring out the window.