Re: [News] (OT) AMD to Announce ATI Buyout?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 24 July 2006 09:31 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> The relevance to Linux is probably ATI's poor Linux support and AMD's
>> affinity, as well as investments in Linux. Since it's a very big
>> speculation with an acquisition worth almost 6 billion US dollars (to be
>> announced later today), I thought I'd at least mention it:
>>
>>         http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060723141410862
>
> This is an amazingly significant item, at least, if it happens.  Not only
> for the remants of the PC industry (this is further consolidation -
> let's not be confused about it), but, for linux/oss, it really does
> raise the huge possibility of an open-source driver for accelerated 3D
> graphics.
>
> If there were a good enough one, I'd be more than happy to move to ATI
> and off nVidia for those cases where I need accelerated stuff.
>
> In terms of the future of the desktop, it's clear that the use of 3D
> graphics is going to become more common, if nothing else, as it'll look
> "impressive", which has always been important.  Consider web kioks,
> displays in shops, timetables, information booths, advertising hoardings,
> so many things which would benefit from accelerated graphics done well
> (openGL, XGL, linux), with the reliability of well designed open-source
> code.
>
> Roy - please keep posting these items - this is far more interesting
> than anything we see from the trolls.

Thanks, Mark. In related news this morning (just in):

        AMD has to buy ATI to survive

        AMD confirms ATI acquisition

        Quanta, Mitac to make AMD desktops, report

        AMD slashes processor pricing

That's a lot of AMD news for just one morning. Yesterday I read somewhere
that AMD will halves the price of their processors (probably selectively, of
course). Intel's sacking of 1000 managers, as well as huge declines, seem to
indicate that the Wintel era is indeed reaching its end. Not even Apple can
offer remedy.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
Tasks: 145 total,   1 running, 143 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie