Re: [News] (OT) AMD to Announce ATI Buyout?

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Monday 24 July 2006 11:04 \__

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 24 July 2006 09:31 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> The relevance to Linux is probably ATI's poor Linux support and AMD's
>>> affinity, as well as investments in Linux. Since it's a very big
>>> speculation with an acquisition worth almost 6 billion US dollars (to be
>>> announced later today), I thought I'd at least mention it:
>>>
>>>         http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060723141410862
>>
>> This is an amazingly significant item, at least, if it happens.  Not only
>> for the remants of the PC industry (this is further consolidation -
>> let's not be confused about it), but, for linux/oss, it really does
>> raise the huge possibility of an open-source driver for accelerated 3D
>> graphics.
>>
>> If there were a good enough one, I'd be more than happy to move to ATI
>> and off nVidia for those cases where I need accelerated stuff.
>>
>> In terms of the future of the desktop, it's clear that the use of 3D
>> graphics is going to become more common, if nothing else, as it'll look
>> "impressive", which has always been important.  Consider web kioks,
>> displays in shops, timetables, information booths, advertising hoardings,
>> so many things which would benefit from accelerated graphics done well
>> (openGL, XGL, linux), with the reliability of well designed open-source
>> code.
>>
>> Roy - please keep posting these items - this is far more interesting
>> than anything we see from the trolls.
>
> Thanks, Mark. In related news this morning (just in):
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33219
>
>         AMD has to buy ATI to survive
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33223
>
>         AMD confirms ATI acquisition
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33218
>
>         Quanta, Mitac to make AMD desktops, report
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33217
>
>         AMD slashes processor pricing
>

> That's a lot of AMD news for just one morning. Yesterday I read somewhere
> that AMD will halves the price of their processors (probably selectively,
> of course). Intel's sacking of 1000 managers, as well as huge declines,
> seem to indicate that the Wintel era is indeed reaching its end. Not even
> Apple can offer remedy.

Addenda (complementing the above):

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/24/amd_july_price_cuts/

        AMD slashes prices by up to 61 per cent

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/24/ati_readies_radeon_x1950/

        <strikeout>ATI</strikeout> AMD readies Radeon X1950