Re: Isn't SLED expensive?

  • Subject: Re: Isn't SLED expensive?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:12:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ John KLoosterman <JClosed_AD_netscape_DOT_n-e-t> ] on Monday 24 July
2006 07:51 \__

> IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS wrote:
>> Novell is charging SLED 50$/year.
>> That costs 250$ for 5 years.
>> Isn't that expensive?
>
> First - it's a enterprise system. You automatically granted
> to use the Costumer center. With that you can centrally
> manage updates and subscriptions. If you ever worked in a
> enterprise environment you sure know what a pain it can be
> to keep all update/subscription information up-to-date.
> Secondly - you are also entitled to get support from novell..

If the OP is not a business customer, then I'd suggest just using SUSE 10.2,
which will be merely identical once released. For now, SUSE 10.1 would do
just as well.

>> Window$ XP PRO cost OEM 119$
>
> This is only the bare OS without any consumer support.
> Consumer support from Microsoft is VERY expensive. Updates
> are for the OS only and not for the other applications
> sitting on your computer (exept office), so any other
> non-microsoft program you have to manage by hand. That can
> really be a pain if you have a lot of workstations. With
> Linux EVERY application installed can be automatically updated.

Yes. Windows comes with support from the next-door neighbour, at the expense
of his/her time. In return, you are often driven into make this reciprocal.
Updates are another cumbersome issue, not to mention protective software.

>> Of course SLED comes with Open Office and M$ office standard costs 399$
>> OEM. Then again it's free to download from the internet OO for Windows.
>
> But still OO it is not automatically updated so you have to
> manage that by hand on every desktop. To centrally manage
> that you have to buy a (very) costly system like Tivoli or
> something.
>
>> I understand that you need to pay 50$/year to Novell just to get the
>> updates and the security patches. Is that all?
>
> No - see above..

Get the free version. There's OpenSuSE and I think you merely misled to
believe that Linux from Novell cannot be free of charge.

>> What's in the box? Does this software has any non-free packages that
>> justify paying 250$?
>
> Well - you get Adobe Acrobat Reader, Citrix client,
> RealPlayer etc.
>
>> Why not installing openSUSE instead?
>
> OpenSUSE is missing the enterprise integration packages, has
> no consumer support from Novell, has no Costumer center
> subscription (so centrally managing updates etc. is less
> easy) and has no restricted packages.
>
> That said - you can do this all by yourself, but it takes
> more time. And time is money in the enterprise environment...

There are pages that explain to you how to do every, step-by-step. With a
fast connection, this should only take minutes or an hour at most. Here's
one such reference:

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/05/20/hacking-suse-linux-101/

Best wishes and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 10:05am  up 3 days 22:20,  9 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.24, 0.17