Re: Thoughts for Food.

  • Subject: Re: Thoughts for Food.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:38:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 24 July 2006 09:07 \__

> John Hastings wrote:
>
>> There is a good blurb on http://www.linux-watch.com/news/index.html about
>> some of the mistakes being made by those who want Linux to be heavy in the
>> desktop business.  And why the average person doesn't even know that Linux
>> exists.
>>
>> The one that got me to thinking is the fact that Microsoft advertises very
>> heavily on Linux websites but Linux companies don't advertise on Windoze
>> websites.  So nobody sees a Linux ad except Linux users so they are
>> preaching to the choir.
>>
>> Now 99.99 percent of Linux users know what windoze is and most if not all
>> have used it.  But 99 percent of windoze users have not only not used
>> Linux, but never heard of it and would never try some unknown OS even if
>> you brought it to their attention.  That is a fact that I know very well
>> since I have often tried to get non-techie folks to move their
>> many-times virus/worm destroyed boat anchor onto something that works. My
>> success rate is about 5 percent.
>>
>> MS may not be able to WRITE code very well, but they have few equals in
>> SELLING it.
>>
>> JH
>
> I think it would do Linux more harm than good if we suddenly went for a big
> push advertising campaign. We don't really want people coming in ignorant,
> getting Linux because the advert was kewl but not really knowing what they
> are loading onto their computer. Much better I think with the gradual
> growth by people who come to Linux because they want Linux.

A common rule says that people currently using Linux will be insulted because
it characterises those choosing Linux as fools who fall for brainwash.

> I'm also not
> keen on the idea of those who come to Linux just as a protest against MS,
> the best successes will come from those who come in because this is what
> they want or need.

Very true.

> It is bound to snowball eventually and when it does we had better be ready
> for a very busy news group. All the questions that have been asked many
> times all ready have to be asked a million times more.

I am not entirely sure. Traffic in this group has declines, but possibly
because there is less tit-for-tat with the trolls. Then come to consider
UseNet archives, which offer provide the answer and obviate the need to
re-enquire.

> I don't think I can
> face another 'How do I play my DVD?' question, why don't we just pay the
> piggin licences and have done with it, as the likes of xandros and linspire
> do.

This reminds me of the impatience of houghi who points at Google's Web search
and UseNet archive. People like Vahis have even written pages to address
these FAQ's.