Re: [News] Internet Explorer Damages Intel Itanic Webcast

  • Subject: Re: [News] Internet Explorer Damages Intel Itanic Webcast
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:04:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Oliver Wong <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 21:06 \__

>>> It's one of these Inquirer articles that probably skip their
>>> way  past  the  editor's  approval. The  Register  has  some
>>> similar  articles  where  the title  is  probably  carefully
>>> chosen by the Editor-in-chief. Personally, I am not too fond
>>> of  such  write-ups that resemble blogs, content-wise  (also
>>> narration).
>>
>> Opinion pieces have been a mainstay of journalism for decades, it's the
>> blog which has risen up to copy the opinion piece, not the other way
>> around...
>>
>> Anyway, to help Mr Wong, the damage done is that the use of IE is a
>> risky thing at best, and /requiring/ it is not just stupid (a lot of
>> systems don't have IE at all), but it's downright irresponsible in the
>> cases where people do (security hazard), and foolish where they don't
>> (lost customer).
>>
>> In fact, there's no reasonable reason for using IE at all, as far as I
>> can see.  Cross-platform standards-based browsers should be the
>> requirement - anything else is foolish, bad engineering, and shows a
>> deep disregard for customers.
>
>     To me, IE is a "target platform" like any others. I've seen some really
> impressive IE-only sites that don't work in Firefox (I believe it's due to
> some special scripting, rather than ActiveX or anything like that). If you
> target IE specifically, instead of webbrowsers in general, then you're
> limiting your audience, sure. But sometimes that's a tradeoff the software
> engineers is willing to make giving the application being developed.

Incompetent engineers should be shown the door, before your customers
find it themselves.  I believe that in some European countries, Firefox
use is nearly 40% - that's a very very large customer base for an
incompetent engineer to lose for you.  Engineering (rather than science)
is about understanding the technology /and the economics/.  Sadly, all
too many people call themselves engineers, but they're not;  perhaps
they're technicians, or programmers, or scientists, but no competent
engineer would turn away 40% of a marketplace by deliberately coding
them out.

>     Also before anyone gets the wrong idea, I use FireFox as my primary
> browser, and strive to make my websites XHTML1.1 compliant, validated
> against W3C's tool.

Which is a good example to all.

Q:	What's yellow, and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
A:	Zorn's Lemon.