Re: [News] Microsoft's 'Gifts' Are Poisonous

__/ [ Tony Sivori ] on Saturday 22 July 2006 16:55 \__

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/34ef9e21c8087a30?dmode=source&hl=en

,----[ Quote ]
| The chairman of the Microsoft Corporation, Bill Gates, won widespread
| applause in January when he trumpeted an agreement to give $1 billion in
| software and cash to the United Nations as part of a job-training program
| for the developing world.
`----

I bet training involved computing (i.e. Windows, to be more precise). What a
nice man! [finger down throat /] The last time I heard he offered cheap(er)
Wi-fi in South Africa for those who choose Windows. Could it be because the
OLPC project? Nooo....

Despite all:

Microsoft offers South Africa cheap internet connections

,----[ Quote ]
| The big idea is to provide affordable options for consumers who
| purchase Internet connectivity and a personal computer running
| Microsoft's Windows starter edition software.

The colonisation of South Africa continues through software

                http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/16/10521.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Obsidian Systems and Stratus Technologies have partnered to launch
| Linux-based high availability servers into the South African market.
`----

                        http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1031

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The hand-cranked, $100 notebook computer aimed at helping poor children
| globally will make its debut in about two weeks, its developer said Monday.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
|
| Mr. Gates announced last week he plans to give up his full-time job in
| Redmond, in part so he can spend more time helping the poor (see Gates
| Phasing Himself Out).
`----

                        http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

As for the UN:

Free and Open Source Software at the United Nations

        http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/07/20/un_and_foss.html

Many would argue that Bill Gates' dedication of his future to charity will
help sustain Microsoft's monopoly for a few more years than it
deserves/capable of warranting. Politics and business (exchange of
decision-making and commodities) has for long driven our world. Money makes
it go 'round.